Friday, July 17, 2009

Painful Moment Exercise

“I’m leaving. You. I’m leaving you.”
“But I just bought groceries.”
“…”
“Waffles. Well, waffle ingredients. Peaches, too. Two bucks a pound.”
“.”
“I don’t really get why you’re crying. It’s not like I’m the one who’s leaving. Are you sure that everything’s alright with your family. Has your dad had another heart attack? Or your mom? Is Stan drinking again?”
“.”
“I mean, am I even going to get an explanation? Or are you not mature enough to give your—damn it, I bought fucking groceries. Or maybe that doesn’t mean anything any more.”
“What can gro—“
“Forget it.”
“.”
“…”
“.”
“Maple syrup. Organic. Not that it matters.”
“I don’t know—“
“You asked me to pick up groceries. I called you about brunch, and you said okay pick up groceries and I said okay and then we were both fucking okay to go on groceries.
“J. I’m tired.”
“…you said love you too. love you too. On the phone before I hung up.”
“That was—“
“Ten minutes ago? I bought organic maple syrup for fuck sake. At least if you had said whoops, my mistake, I don’t really love you, then I could have bought some Aunt Jemima instead of paying eleven bucks for the Grade A Canadian stuff.”
“I doubt they sell Aunt Jemima at Whole Foods.”
“.”
“Just saying.”

No comments:

Post a Comment